Frequently Asked Questions
All of your web design, SEO, and marketing questions answered in one place!
Web Design FAQ's
The 7-Step StoryBrand, also called SB7 Framework, can be described as a storytelling formula that adopts key elements of a story plot in a business or brands’ marketing communications to its customers.
Several studies have proven that people pay more attention to businesses that communicate through stories than one that tells facts. For this reason, the SB7 framework outlines an approach that can help businesses/brands craft a compelling story for their customers. The result is a clear and powerful marketing message that resonates with your customers and compels them to take the desired action.
For further illustrations, the 7-step components of the framework have been outlined below;
- A Character – This describes the clients/customers for your business.
- A Problem – Describes the obstacle that your customers are facing for which they require a solution.
- A Guide – The guide, in this case, is your business. Your business is positioned as a guide that can offer solutions to their problems/challenges.
- A Plan – A simple layout of your business’s action plan in solving their problem.
- A Call to Action – A call-to-action must be present, and it must be straightforward and easy to recognize.
- Avoid failure – A quick outline of what customers stand to lose if they don’t do business with you.
- Ends in Success – Finally, a show of proof that your business is capable through testimonials, reviews, etc.
This framework taps into the psychology of consumer behavior and propels your customer to take action. We blend these elements and design your website in a way that tells your business story and clearly outlines your business value.
This depends on your needs and what you’re trying to do. If you are a business, by all means, you should. The years of experience and expertise of a professional web designer gives your business a competitive edge in the marketplace.
But perhaps you still aren’t convinced. Below, we’ve outlined how you can benefit from having your business website designed professionally.
- Improve Trust and Credibility: A poorly designed website screams scam at first glance. If you’re looking to inspire confidence, trust, and credibility in clients/customers, a professional designer’s expert grasp of web design can communicate trust and credibility through a very well designed website.
- Communicate Your Expertise: Of course, you are the expert. But you still need the help of a professional web designer to communicate your expertise through a well-designed website suited to the needs of your clients/customers.
- Save time and effort: Save yourself the time and effort as you focus on other important areas of your business. With the help of an expert, you can get an efficient website running in no time.
- Communicate Uniqueness: There are millions, even billions of websites on the internet. A professional web designer can cleverly communicate your brand’s uniqueness and identity through your brand colors, images, and typographies.
The price of setting up your website will vary depending on several factors, including project size and complexity. Another important contributing factor is your website’s type.
Below, we’ve provided basic estimates according to your website’s type:
- Personal/Portfolio Websites: $1,500 – $3,000
- Small Business Websites: $2,500 – $10,000
- Corporate Websites: $20,000 – $35,000
- Ecommerce Websites: $7,000 – $40,000
Depending on your specific needs, project size, and complexity, you might pay less, perhaps even more than these estimates. However, these prices are certainly not fixed and will still vary depending on some other factors. Other factors could include:
- Some specific design customizations
- Extra features like added functionalities and integrations
- The size of your business (Larger companies tend to have larger needs and would have more features)
- Depending on if you want extra website maintenance activities
- Database Integrations etc.
- Number of web pages
- Design style, etc.
Ultimately, the price of your website will depend on your unique wants and needs. Some projects might require extra modifications, while others might not. Regardless, when designing your website, we consider your taste and have it done exactly the way you want.
Definitely! If you can edit a Microsoft Word document, you can update the content of your WordPress website. Considering your website will be designed on WordPress: The world’s most popular CMS (content management system).
A feature that makes WordPress popular among website owners is its user-friendliness, even for beginners. You don’t have to deal with any coding if you don’t want to. WordPress is easy to learn, use, and understand.
Moreover, as a complement, we go the extra mile to offer basic tutoring on how you can maintain and manage your website.
You’ll be taught how to perform some actions like creating a blog post or making some basic style edits on the platform.
Yes, we do!
Copywriting can get overwhelming quickly, especially if you don’t know how to do it. Since writing and publishing consistently great web copy is vital for your online presence, we also provide professional copywriting services, just for you. We have a professional team of copywriters that can help with the following:
- Provide content pieces that capture your services and present them in an exciting and engaging way for your clients/customers.
- Regardless of your industry, Copywriters can learn about various industries to help them craft quality blog posts.
- With superior knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation, they are able to ensure every aspect of your web copy screams professionalism and expertise.
- Craft persuasive content that compels your customers to take the desired action.
Absolutely! This is standard in everything that we build. For obvious reasons, browsing the web using mobile devices is becoming increasingly popular. We understand the need to maximize your business’s success online. So we make sure your site is optimized for mobile devices and emphasize a positive experience regardless of your customer’s device type.
Most definitely. How do you feel when browsing a website without that green padlock icon beside the URL? Unsafe, yeah? Now that’s the same way your clients and customers would feel if your website doesn’t have that icon, which shows extra security. But wait, it only gets worse. An absence of the HTTPS seal on your website actually hurts your chances of ranking well in search engines. Aside from that, without HTTPS, your site is prone to hacking. Fret not. We’ve got you. All our websites come with HTTPS, making them safe, secure, and reliable.
Yes, you should. It’s the right thing to do. By making your website accessible, you’re ensuring that everyone, including people with disabilities, can interact with your website. Of course, accessibility isn’t a necessity, but it’s obligatory. It’s your duty as a website owner to ensure that your website is inclusive and available to all. Moreover, we believe accessibility will play a key role in the future of web design. A few years from now, every website owner would have to comply with accessibility standards.
We can help with making your site accessible! Learn more about this service here.
Regardless of your business type, your main goal is to acquire clients/customers. Every website can benefit from the free organic traffic that Google can provide. With a highly optimized website, you’re able to generate quality leads for your business through business-related keywords without spending a dime on advertising.
We can help with making your site more visible! Learn more about our SEO services.
Search Engine Optimization FAQ's
SEO literally means search engine optimization. It is a form of search engine marketing, commonly known as SEM. SEO is the process of making your site more visible on search engine result pages (SERP’s). In other words, the goal is to get your site to rank on search engines like Google and Bing. The better you rank, the more likely you will be found.
SEO is an essential component to any website. It allows you to improve your search engine rankings and therefore, improve the amount of people exposed to your brand. You need SEO to help you get in front of more people in a targeted way that helps expand your business.
Average SEO-optimization costs vary greatly depending on things like techniques being used, the size of your business, the scope of your project, and level of experience of the person you hire. Other variables like the cost of keywords for your industry can also impact how much you pay for a total SEO-solution. For most businesses, a comprehensive SEO campaign can be thousands of dollars.
Rather than focusing on how much SEO costs for you to optimize your site for a single project or ongoing engagement, it’s more beneficial to think of SEO in how much it costs you not to have it. Do you know how much poor SEO is costing you today?
SEO results in a lot of exposure for your business. It puts your company on the first page of Google searches, on maps in local searches, and also helps you target the “featured snippet”. That’s the blurb that pops on Google when you search something like “how to make pasta” and instead of immediately seeing links, you see one link at the bottom of a paragraph that answers your search query.
But good SEO isn’t just about getting people to your site, but it’s also about what they do when they get there. Google ranks sites better when the site functions in such a way that provides an optimal user experience. Doing this means it’s easier to navigate your page and understand opportunities for conversions.
Without good SEO, your digital business loses money. That’s why so many companies are willing to invest in expert SEO services, like the kind you get at ShiftWeb.
We’ve already talked about SEO and SEM, so I’ll start with PPC, which means Pay-Per-Click. Pay-Per-Click advertising is what happens when businesses target keywords, purchase them, and then pay for every click they get through the search of those keyphrases. While PPC is an important part of every SEO strategy, most SEO marketers agree that organic SEO is more beneficial to your business.
SEO helps you target keywords too, but through content. Google looks for depth and breadth of content when ranking sites on keywords. To drive people to your site with keywords, you have to become a content publisher speaking on a variety of topics that make sense for your brand. That said, unlike PPC, SEO is a lot more than keywords. It’s about how you organize your webpage to make it the best experience for your users. That’s why you need a professional.
SEM, or search engine marketing, refers to strategies that include PPC and SEO in an overarching way. SEM is the catch-all term that refers to strategies like PPC and SEO together.
This is a really broad question, and unfortunately it’s one without a simple answer. That’s because SEO works in a lot of ways.The effect of your SEO campaign directly depends on what strategies you deploy.
One SEO strategy is to target certain keywords. Once you’ve identified your keywords and created robust content for them, or purchased them in a PPC campaign, you can start bringing in traffic from people who search those terms.
That said, not all SEO is the same. Other on-page techniques help your page rank better by offering a better experience and more intuitive web crawl for Google’s bots that index your site.
It doesn’t boost your website’s SEO to use HTTPS. That said, not using HTTPS could result in less of an SEO presence over time, because you may be penalized by Google for not securing your site.
Steps To Creating a Winning Sales Funnel
The first step towards building that winning sales funnel is developing a one-liner statement that perfectly reflects your company’s services and values.
It’s a concise statement that takes your customers into a state of discovery and curiosity to unravel all there is to your brand.
For the tech giant, Apple, it’s “Think Different.” Yours could be anything that works equivalent wonders in your industry like a magical wand. Pay rapt attention to this because it’s your most powerful tool.
Your website is your company’s personal “Google.” This is where your customer can find relevant information about your brand. It’s one of your best chances of wooing prospects into paying customers.
As important as this is, most companies get it wrong. For your website to work, you need to balance the design (images and colors) and the words on the pages.
Your language needs to be clear, yet persuasive; simple, yet professional; compelling enough to make your visitors take immediate action.
You may never get a second opportunity to meet a prominent person in a public function—the best way to guarantee that the second meeting is to exchange contact information.
This is one of the reasons lead generators are essential in business relationships. You need to maximize every opportunity you get to generate leads. Lead generators are often free assets you offer prospective customers.
It could be video series, PDF, free samples, live events, or valuable enough to make your customers share their contact information with you.
Remember, the more a business fails to get emails from customers, the more it loses the opportunities it needs to grow.
After obtaining clients’ emails, you need to build and nurture a relationship with them. Most times, a product has to be advertised so often before a customer may decide to buy it.
Nurture emails are regular email campaigns your business needs to build priceless relationships with potential and existing customers.
Such campaigns will help your brand come in continuously in the customer’s mind, even when they are not ready to purchase. With nurture emails hitting many clients’ phones, the business brand stands a chance of making huge sales soon.
The nurture campaign helps to build business relationships. In contrast, the sales campaign is aimed at solving the customer’s problems with the right product. Through sales email campaigns, you get to pitch your products and services directly to your customers.
It’s best to run sales emails and nurture emails as complimenting campaigns—businesses who fear rejection never get a high market share. So make an offer now that can promote your brand.
Every business needs an execution strategy that promotes its sales funnel. Creating these strategies aims at giving the brand a well-executed plan for an all-round increase.
Understanding the different roles in each market department adds to the movement forward. Customers also need to be assured that their desires will always be met whenever they come knocking at the door.
All teams involved in the sales need to plan towards success. Decide what service to offer, set the right goals, and execute them.
Think about it. How do you feel when someone tells you a good story?
Do you get bored or tired quickly? We guess not. You know why? Because stories make you pay attention, and we humans are wired for stories.
In fact, science has proven this. Studies show that stories lighten up more brain areas than when we hear information. Storytelling can create connections in a way that is impossible by just merely telling facts. Without a doubt, If a business can get storytelling right, they have a massive advantage over the competition.
The StoryBrand framework is a 7step formula that drills into a great story’s fundamental elements and can be utilized in a brand’s marketing communications. The StoryBrand framework, asides from the advantage of connecting with your customer that it gives, is also designed to make your customers see themselves as the “Hero” in your story.
Here’s the StoryBrand framework by Donald Miller in all its glory.
- A Character – The framework starts by identifying a character (the “hero” of your story), in this case, your customers.
- A Problem – Your character (customer) has a problem that needs to be solved.
- A Guide – Since your customers are the hero, what great hero would there be without a guide? This is where your business comes in. Think Mr. Miyagi of Karate kid.
- A Plan – As their guide, your customers are looking up to you for a plan for solving their problem. It should be given to them!
- A Call to Action – Now that they have a plan, they should be nudged to take action.
- Avoid failure – Essentially, you want to remind them to avoid disappointment, which is the consequence of not doing business with you.
- Ends in Success – The critical part of every story is an excellent and triumphant ending. Your customers should be shown how you can help them live happily ever after.
Most successful brands intuitively base their marketing messages upon this framework. Think of brands like Apple, Coke, Dove, Patagonia, etc.
By telling a story, you not only have signed on your side to create a connection with your customer, but your customer may see themselves in your story.
See that? Powerful, isn’t it? We wouldn’t be exaggerating if we said selling sand at the beach could be possible with the StoryBrand framework.
The essence of the StoryBrand BrandScript is to flesh out the framework for your business’ story. The StoryBrand framework, as the name implies, is still a frame, a skeleton. For it to be whole, it has to be filled with information as it relates to your business.
Basically, the StoryBrand BrandScript aims to convert the framework into a script that applies to your business needs. A StoryBrand BrandScript is then the visual and fleshed-out representation of the StoryBrand Framework as it relates uniquely to your business. It takes the 7 step process of the framework and then begins to define its various components one by one as it applies to your business.
The result is a single page of your brand’s narrative that will be transformed into a simple, straightforward, and compelling message that you’ll use to grow your business.
The StoryBrand concept averts the usual approach that underperforming brands apply in their marketing communications, which is by talking about themselves. This time around, the concept shifts focus away from the brand and focuses attention on the customer. Essentially, making your customers the hero of the story you’re telling.
Whatever marketing approach you adopt, your customers would go through a journey; this framework highlights them as the hero of this journey, instead of the business, but rather positions your company as the guide.
As you see, the StoryBrand framework’s goal is to place the customer above your business essentially. And a brand that focuses on its customer is a brand that survives. You see, we know it’s hard, it’s hard not being the center of attention. It’s hard not being seen as the hero. Of course, who wouldn’t want to be the “Superman” in a story? But the truth is, making yourself the hero in your story is bad for business growth. Indeed, It is. And this is where the concept of StoryBrand applies to your marketing.
Rather than being the hero in the story, you’re crafting a story where you position yourself as the guide (one with expertise, experience, authority) that provides the hero (your customer) with tools, wisdom, information (your product, services) that helps them defeat a villain (challenge, problem, frustration), and thereby live happily ever after (continued business with you).
This framework is the formula that most prominent brands and companies know and intuitively utilize in their marketing message to create a horde of loyalists that would die for the brand. Well, maybe not die, but you get the point.
Simply put, the StoryBrand content will help you grow your business. Perhaps before now, you’ve been experiencing high bounce rates on your websites, low conversion rates, slow sales, and slow business growth. In general, all these are the apparent effects of marketing messages that are either confusing or don’t connect with customers.
The StoryBrand has the potential to help you in the following two ways and beyond.
- Improve connection with customers: Studies have shown that stories trigger our brains’ area responsible for releasing certain chemicals that induce empathy and connection because storytelling can connect with people in a way that is impossible by just merely telling facts. Think about it, who would you connect more with: A parent (a guide) that tells you a bedtime story or someone that tells you boring facts about a rather dull topic? Using the StoryBrand concept, you’re able to highlight your marketing message in a way that improves connection and strengthens the bond with your customers. At once, they know you’re the one for them.
- Attain clarity with your brand communications: Your customers will fall in love with you for two reasons: “They connect with you” and “You have a solution to their problem.” But having a solution to your customer’s problem is only the first piece of the puzzle. The other half relies on how well you can clarify your message. Asides from having a solution to their problem, you need to articulate your value offering clearly. Confusing your customers is a sure way to chase them off. By being clear and straightforward in helping them, there’s a higher chance that they’ll do business with you.
Yes, if you want to save time and get it right the first time.
As a smart business owner, you should focus your time and efforts on where your strength lies. It would be best to hire talent to help you with other aspects of your business development while focusing on what you do best.
By hiring an experienced professional, you can fast track your business growth through a well-written marketing copy that resonates with your customer and drives business-desired actions.
Some business owners attempt to do it all. Aside from the stress that could impose on them, their growth process is usually slower, and they often begin to fall short in other critical areas of their business where their attention is required.
So, if you want to achieve positive results for your business and bottom line, then yes! You should.
Yes, absolutely. If you’re still not sold with the StoryBrand concept and perhaps would like to stick with the non-StoryBrand approach, then yes, we can help you craft your copy just the way you want it. Admittedly, StoryBrand is not a one-size-fits-all approach. You might have some specific requirements. If you feel your business approach goes beyond what the StoryBrand concept offers, then we’re flexible enough and here to help you.
WordPress Training FAQ's
There are many different ways to create a website, but we’ll show you how to create one using the popular and powerful WordPress platform. With an Atlanta WordPress tutor, you will learn a ton within just one hour!
What if you already have a website that was built, but the previous developer didn’t show you how to manage your website? We can help with that as well!
- How to get connect your domain and hosting and get them working to create your site
- How to install WordPress
- How to install themes and plugins
- The difference between pages and posts
- About sidebars, widgets, and controlling your own menus
- How to work with media (images and videos)
- How to use comments and discussion, including moderating and spam control
If you are interested in creating an basic eCommerce site, this may be possible to cover in tutorials. If you have more complicated needs like a complex eCommerce site or a translation site, this may not be possible to cover in tutorials. When you need something more complex, we recommend hiring professionals to complete the task.
We do NOT cover custom CSS or WordPress development in the tutorials. These are advanced topics that are not suitable for one-on-one tutorials.
ShiftWeb provides one-on-one or group tutorials and training at $100 an hour. Most people learn a lot within just 1-2 hours.
- Good general knowledge of the internet
- You must have a laptop capable of connecting to WiFi internet
- You must have a domain name (We will assist you if you need one if needed)
- You must have a web hosting account (We will assist you with one if needed)
- You must have a theme ready to use (We will assist you with one if needed)
In case you didn’t know, a theme is required for every single WordPress site. A theme is essentially the design of your website. While you can create a theme from scratch, this is definitely not necessary in today’s web world. There are thousands of themes to choose from and you can customize every single one of those themes.
Our favorite theme in the world is Astra Theme paired with Elementor Plugin! Together, they make your site incredibly powerful, flexible, and easy to use. It is also packed with a visual builder so it’s perfect for the non-tech savvy folks. Experienced users also love it because it is a smart, well-developed theme that was built by trusted developers who update it often. In other words, it’s incredibly reliable and trusted by many.
Keep in mind Astra + Elementor is not a requirement for this tutorial! We have experience with all kinds of themes and plugins so we can most likely help – no matter what theme you are using.
Every website on the world wide web needs to have space on a server so it can be presented to the world. There are a lot of hosting companies out there and in case you can’t tell which one is perfect for you, we can help. We’ve done all the ground work for you and we’ve found the best hosting company for you to use. When you schedule session with our WordPress tutor, we’ll walk you through each step of the way on how to get started.
NOTE: We highly recommend Cloudways Hosting for your WordPress site needs. Throughout the years, we have tried all the major shared hosting companies you can think of: Siteground, Bluehost, Hostgator, Godaddy, Inmotion, and the list goes on… Do you know what the major recurring problem we keep seeing with these hosting companies? Sites on these hosts are SLOW. Cloudways is different. Choose either DigitalOcean, Linode, or Vultr on Cloudways and get your site on a VPS (Virtual Private Server), which is different than shared hosting. Want to learn more? Contact us and we’ll guide you the whole way. You shouldn’t have to stress about finding the best host for your website – we did all the hard work for you.
Got your own Question? Here are some options:
Ask Us in Comments
At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas.